In order to change the Heath Care debate we need to focus away from rights without responsibility. Our constitution was never meant to provide free services without responsibility. Rights do not exist without someone fighting to defend them and citizens being willing to pay their fair share.
Everyone would be covered under some heath care plan. People currently happy with their insurance will be able to retain it. People without coverage would use a graduated plan from a minimum amount to 100% of the premium. Small businesses should receive help from the heath care fund to cover workers making less than $20.00 per hour.
I have been thinking about the problems of paying for health care for everyone. One of the problems I see is the cost associated with lifestyles each person chooses. The current ObamaCare Healthcare Plan makes no effort to reward people for living a health conscious life style. Should people who make an effort to eat right, exercise, and avoid lifestyles that impact their health pay less for health insurance? What do you think of a plan that would work sometime like this:
The costs below would be paid by 100% of the population. These fees and fines would go into the General Healthcare Fund to pay for people who can not afford insurance costs. The increase co-pays and deductibles could be charged by any insurance company to the people who desire to keep their current provider. The amounts recovered from the lifestyle choices would reduce the costs for the other enrollees in the health plan. Companies would be encouraged to recruit people living healthy lifestyles. Much in the same way car insurance companies charge drivers with poor driving records, medical insurance companies would charge a premium for lifestyle choices.
Paying for alcohol and drug heath costs:
- Increase financial costs for DUI – 10% of your yearly income – $1000.00 minimun NO maximum
- Confiscation of vehicle
- 160 hours community service at a detention or prison facility
- All monies confiscated in drug arrests go to health care fund
- Greatly increase fines for recreation drug use
- Increase co-pay and deducible amounts for convinced drug/alcohol users
- Require yearly drug screening for anyone who wants to quality for “drug-free medical rates”
- Increase taxes on all alcohol products including beer
- Increase fines for underage drinking 18-21
- Fine parents for underage 18 drinking
- Require liability insurance for any establishment that serves more alcohol that food.
- Increase taxes on tobacco products – require a portion of the current tax to go to the health care fund
- Higher co-pay and deducible for smokers
- Pay incentives to tobacco farmers who convert to other healthy crops
Sexual life style costs
- Increase co-pay and deducible for people with std’s
- Increase fines for people convinced for sexual abuse
- Charge people who physically attack someone with 100% of medically required treatment both for themselves and the person they injured
- In any medical malpractice suit allow lawyers to collect no more than 10-15%, 25% goes back into health care fund, remainder to the injured party
- Heavy fines for people who file improper suits without merit
Obesity related health care
- Tax incentives for weight lose – you can deduct membership in health clubs
- Free nutritional counseling
- Three year grace period to lose weight before increased co-pay and increase deducible kick in
These ideas are just a starting place. I am sure they could be simplified into a general lifestyle choices. Of course, people who live in poverty often make the poorest choices in lifestyle. Programs should be developed that encourage making wise decisions on tobacco and alcohol products, sexual activity, and criminal activity. Private companies should do most of this work.